What is Self-Care?
Self-care is anything that helps your mind, body, and soul. It can be one of the following but includes so much more:
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Eat nutritional meals
- Feeding your soul spiritually
- Get exercise
- Process how you feel and sharing those feelings with others
- Spend time with family and friends
- Spend time alone
- Do something fun
- Journal, Meditate, Collect your thoughts
- Do anything that makes you happy and lifts your mood
What is not self-care?
- Self-care is not forced upon us
- Self-care is not being selfless and doing things for others when we need time for ourselves
- Self- care is not spending a lot of money
Self-Care is the key to living a balanced life. So, how do we make time for Self- Care?
- Make a choice in what we want our self-care to look like. Is it a day at the spa or reading a book? Start small with an activity that lasts 5 minutes a day and add to it.
- Saying no to things when we do not want to do them. Not feeling obligated to anyone but ourselves.
- Make a schedule. I schedule everything I do. Everything! Even my breaks etc. Use Outlook, Fitbit, or something that will make noise and remind you to do things. Put what you want on the schedule first. Of course, work is there, but put your naps or your quiet time; your walk or bath time. Time to spend in your special place.
- Create a routine. Once you know your routine then you won’t rush and stress yourself. And keep to it.
- Elicit support. Ask a friend to go with you to the gym. Ask a family member to watch the kids for an hour. Plan your day to do something for you BEFORE they get home from school or day care. Errands do not always have to be done before the kids get home.
- Make life easier. Use store pickup or delivery. Meal prep for the week. Get your family on a schedule.
Here are a few articles for different situations
- Understanding Me Time & Taking Care of Myself https://lifeasmom.com/me-time/
- 5 Ways to Build a Support System Among Family Members https://intermountainhealthcare.org/blogs/topics/heart/2016/04/5-ways-to-build-a-support-system-among-family-members/
- Finding ME Time for Parents- https://www.childcare.co.uk/information/finding-me-time-for-parents
- How to Make “Me Time” as a Student https://www.cc-sd.edu/blog/how-to-make-me-time-as-a-student
- Finding Yourself in College http://www.collegiatetimes.com/lifestyles/creating-yourself-in-college-the-importance-of-keeping-self-care-a-priority/article_81895f30-a481-11e8-87af-3f564218b61e.html
- Self-Care Activities for Seniors- https://www.medicalguardian.com/medical-alert-blog/health-wellness/self-care-activities-for-seniors
- Self-Care is important for Seniors too – https://www.cascadeinhomecare.com/blog/articles/senior-health/practicing-self-care-is-important-for-seniors-too
- Self-Care for the Single Woman – https://www.elephantjournal.com/2017/07/4-self-care-tips-for-single-women/
- Self-Care for Men- https://www.themanual.com/culture/self-care-for-men-guide/